|
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|

Auckland Council says residents and ratepayers have until this Friday to share opinions on a proposed fortnightly kerbside rubbish collection trial in parts of Auckland.
More than 2700 submissions have been received since consultation opened on October 13, the council says, with feedback helping to inform whether the trial should go ahead early next year.
The proposed six-month trial would test fortnightly rubbish collections in areas of Te Atatū Peninsula, Panmure-Tāmaki, and Clendon Park-Weymouth.
Weekly food scraps and fortnightly recycling collections would continue as normal.
The council’s waste solutions general manager, Justine Haves, says community feedback will play a key role in shaping any future changes to rubbish collections across the region.
“We’ve had a strong response so far, which shows Aucklanders are keen to be part of the conversation about how we can reduce waste to landfill.
“This trial isn’t confirmed yet. This consultation is about hearing from Aucklanders first.
“What we learn will help shape whether the trial happens and what support might be needed if it does.”
Public consultation closes on Friday, October 31.
The council says once feedback is analysed, a summary of submissions will be presented to the relevant standing committee of the Governing Body in December, when elected councillors will decide whether to proceed with the trial.
If approved, participating households would receive detailed information ahead of the trial starting in February, including how to request additional bins, rates remissions, and support available during the six-month period.
If the trial fails to get approval, the council says it will continue with weekly rubbish collections in the proposed trial areas.
Aucklanders can read the proposal and provide feedback at akhaveyoursay.nz/collectiontrial or by visiting Auckland Libraries or local board offices to fill out a feedback form.


