|
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|

Waikato Regional Council has welcomed a decision by the New Zealand Transport Agency Waka Kotahi (NZTA) Board to support a 12-month extension of the Waikato-Auckland Te Huia rail service trial.
The council wrote to the board in December requesting an extension through to June 2027, with 60 percent central government funding.
The extension is intended to allow passenger numbers to recover and to test the impact of the City Rail Link opening later in 2026. The council also plans to continue measures aimed at increasing patronage and revenue.
The NZTA Board agreed to the request at a meeting in Wellington yesterday, February 19.
Regional councillors will now be asked to confirm continued local funding at the current rate when they consider the 2026/27 budget next week. A full review of Te Huia’s long-term future will take place as part of the 2027–2037 Long Term Plan process.
Waikato Regional Council Chair Warren Maher thanked the board for its decision.
“We thank the board for considering our request favourably and giving councillors time to consider the next steps,” Maher said.
Councils in the Future Proof partnership, Auckland, Hamilton City, Waipā and Waikato District, had previously signalled support for the extension at the 60 percent funding assistance rate.
In letters of support, the councils said continued investment in multi-modal road and rail corridors was essential to support housing growth and sustainable economic development across the Hamilton-Auckland corridor.


