|
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|

Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) has confirmed that a blaze which destroyed an electric bus on Wednesday night, began in the petrol-powered car involved in the collision.
The driver of the bus was killed in the Tāmaki Drive incident and two people are in hospital as a result.
Emergency services were called to the scene at about 9.20pm, after reports of a fire breaking out on the bus, which had collided with a car.
A FENZ spokesperson told the Franklin Times that investigations so far indicate “a fire started in the engine of the petrol vehicle, which then spread to the bus.”
Reports indicate the fire quickly engulfed both vehicles.
“We are unable to provide any further comments at this stage, as investigations into the incident are ongoing,” the spokesperson said.
Read more: Wayne Brown pays tribute to bus driver who died in Tāmaki Drive blaze
Hato Hone St John says it was notified of the incident at 9.17pm, responding with three ambulances and two rapid response vehicles.
Two patients were assessed at the scene, with both transported to Auckland City Hospital, one in a serious and one in a moderate condition.
Fire and Emergency New Zealand said around 16 fire trucks and several support vehicles attended to extinguish the blaze, with crews remaining at the scene into the early hours of Thursday morning.
Auckland Transport has confirmed that Tāmaki Drive is now open in both directions, after earlier closures between The Strand and Ngapipi Road caused significant overnight disruption.


