|
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|

At least a dozen people have died after two gunmen opened fire at a public event staged to mark the first day of the Jewish festival Hanukkah at the world-famous Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia.
In a statement issued late last night, New South Wales Police said an operation was ongoing after a “public place shooting” by two men at the beach earlier in the day.
At that time 10 people were confirmed dead, including a man believed to be one of the shooters. The second alleged shooter was in a critical condition.
“At this time, a further 11 people are reported to be injured, two of which are police officers,” New South Wales Police said.
“Emergency services were called to Campbell Parade about 6.45pm (Sunday, December 14), responding to reports of shots being fired.
“Officers attached to Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command attended assisted by multiple resources across the city.
“A number of suspicious items located in the vicinity are being examined by specialist officers and an exclusion zone is in place.
“A multi-agency response is continuing. An extensive crime scene has been established and inquiries are now under way.
“There have been no reports of any other incidents in Sydney connected to this incident.
“Police are now appealing for anyone with mobile phone vision or dashcam vision relevant to this incident to contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.”
Twelve people have since been confirmed dead in the attack, including one of the gunmen, and a further 29 injured.
The two men opened fire at a park near Bondi Beach where people had gathered to celebrate the first day of Hanukkah.
News media are reporting that an elderly Holocaust survivor is among the victims of the attack.
Video of the incident captures the moments a bystander who bravely tackled and wrestled a firearm away from one of the gunmen.
One of the terrorists is on a footpath near a grassy area and car parking area as he fires the gun.
The heroic bystander rushes towards the gunman from behind and appears to grab him around the neck while also snatching the firearm away.
The terrorist falls to the ground and begins to back away as the bystander aims the firearm at him.
Responding to the mass shooting, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said his country will eradicate “hate, violence and terrorism”.
“As Prime Minister, I say on behalf of all Australians to the Jewish community, ‘We stand with you’.
“We embrace you and we reaffirm tonight that you have every right to be proud of who you are and what you believe.
“There is no place for this hate, violence and terrorism in our nation. Let me be clear: We will eradicate it.”
New Zealand Prime Minister Christopher Luxon shared a message about the attack on social media just before 11pm last night New Zealand time.


